Creating Keepsakes: Holiday Edition 🎄
December 12 2022 – Knowledge Crates
Have some extra Model Magic clay left over from a past Knowledge Crate? Use it to create a sweet Christmas tree keepsake ornament with your kiddos!
- Roll out your Model Magic and cut a shape (we used a scalloped play dough cutter), but a simple circle or even a Christmas-shaped cookie cutter would be cute!
- Snip a two-inch or so length of branch off a hidden area of your Christmas tree. Have your kiddos press the branch into the Model Magic and then lift it back out, leaving an impression—it's like the tree's fingerprint! :-) Note: If you have an artificial tree, take a little nature walk and find an evergreen to sample!
- Use a toothpick or pencil to poke a hole for hanging.
- Let the Model Magic dry out for a day or so before hanging or painting. They look beautiful both painted or left natural! On our painted ones, we had fun trying two different methods ... on one of our ornaments, we used a fine paintbrush to paint inside the impression of the pine needles. On the other, we brushed over the whole ornament with a light hand, so the paint didn't get in the impression.
- Add some twine, thread, or yarn, and hang!
~ Elizabeth Guerrero @schoolofchildhood