Practicing scissor skills doesn’t sound very fun at all. But when we mask it with an activity like this one, they don’t even realize they’re learning!
What they thought they were doing:
- Using their creativity to create multiple snowflakes to display.
What they’re really doing:
- Practicing fine motor skills with the scissors and folding of each coffee filter.
- Following step-by-step directions
- Using a combination of the written directions and visual aides to complete a task on their own.
- Making their own choice of where to add lines and cuts for each of the snowflakes to create a unique design.
There can be so many learning opportunities in the simplest of activities, we just need to step back and think about the big picture. 🏻